February’s installment of 7 Questions With… AAAL Members features Kevin Tanner, Instructional Librarian at the Reg Erhardt Library at SAIT.
1. When was the last time you were nervous? I proposed to my girlfriend of four years this past weekend. I took her on a private sleigh ride in Banff and had the driver pull over to “take pictures” and popped the question. I said a little speech before and I was so nervous I don’t even remember what I said exactly. I knew she would say yes, so I am not sure why I was so nervous.
2. If you could learn to do anything, what would it be? I would learn a programming language that would allow me to automate everything possible. I am thinking Python, but I am not sure if that would be the right choice.
3. Have you ever had something happen to you that you thought was bad, but it turned out to be for the best? During my MLIS, I did not initially get a co-op library placement after interviewing at only a few places. However, I ended up having a second chance and successfully interviewed for an 8 month co-op at The D.B. Weldon Library at Western University. I went from being devastated to jumping for joy in the span of a week.
4. What songs are included on the soundtrack to your life? I could go on and on with this…I’ll keep it simple with five:
1. Black Sabbath – Children of the Grave
2. The Smiths – Well I Wonder
3. Herbie Hancock – Maiden Voyage
4. Minor Threat – Filler
5. Cro-Mags – Life of My Own
That was incredibly difficult and would probably change on a different day.
5. If you had to work on only one project for the next year, what would it be? I would probably work on a project related to scholarly activity at SAIT and how the library can help with research. Scholarly activity is relatively new here with the introduction of degree programs, and I would love to work with researchers throughout the research cycle, from initial conception to dissemination.
6. What is your best piece of career advice? My best piece of career advice is for MLIS students: get that practical experience and make the most of it! Don’t hesitate to take on all the projects and do all the extra work you can. My co-op experience was invaluable. Even if you have library experience as a paraprofessional, it is a good idea to get some professional experience in an academic library if that is the route you want to take.
7. What is your favourite thing to binge watch? The Office, for sure. I am somewhat ashamed to admit I failed a class in my first year of university, and I attribute it to binge watching The Office. Don’t worry current and future employers reading this, I learned my time management lesson.