***Applications are Open for the Fall 2022 Meeting! Please apply for the award using the Application form. Applications close Thursday, Nov. 3***
About the award:
Up to $400 will be made available biannually to library staff & professionals from AAAL member institutions to help cover expenses to attend and present at either the AAAL Fall meeting or the Annual General Meeting each Spring. Library students are also eligible to apply.
- The applicant’s institution must be an AAAL member, and the applicant must work in a library or learning commons area. Exception: Students in MLIS or LIT programs are eligible to apply. Students do not have to be from AAAL member institutions, but they must show proof of enrollment in a library school program.
- Priority will be given to applicants presenting a session/workshop at an AAAL meeting; however, this is not a requirement. (See application process below for details).
- Expenses to attend an AAAL meeting (lodging, travel, meals);
- Peripheral Support – Expenses incurred to facilitate online or participate in online AAAL professional development activities. This can include equipment (headsets, monitors and other device or technology upgrades) or software, and relevant application or subscription fees.
Approximately 2 months prior to each AAAL meeting an AAAL Professional Development Award application form is sent to AAAL members and posted on the AAAL blog. The proposal submission form asks applicants to express interest in being considered for this award due to financial need and lack to access to workplace professional development funding. Applicants are asked to include the following information:
- Amount of money requested with a detailed budget (should not exceed $400.00). It is possible that the award granted will not equal the total amount requested.
- For students, proof of enrollment in an accredited Master of Library and Information Studies or Library Information Technology program is required.
- Information about current funding support to participate in professional development activities from their employer or academic institution.
- Has not received funding from AAAL in the past 2 years
- Whether or not the applicant has also submitted to present at the AAAL meeting. This application needs to be submitted separately, and these applicants will be given priority when determining an awardee. A call for presenters is sent out at approximately the same time as the PD Award application.
- All eligible submissions expressing interest in the Professional Development Award received by the deadline will be considered by the Professional Development Committee and the Workshop Committee.
- Notification of awards granted will be sent out approximately three weeks before the scheduled AAAL meeting.
- Funding will be provided as reimbursement for actual expenses (transportation, lodging, meals). Mileage (if applicable) will be paid at a rate of $0.44/km. Receipts for technology upgrades.
- The award recipient will be required to present receipts to the AAAL Treasurer at which time a cheque will be issued in the recipient’s name.
- If awarded to a session/workshop presenter, the presenter must also submit a copy of any presentation materials (e.g. a PowerPoint, handout, summary document) to the Workshop Committee within one (1) month following their presentation. These materials will be posted on the AAAL website.
The AAAL Executive reserves the right to grant one or several awards each year. The awarded amount will not exceed $800.00 per fiscal year ($400 for each meeting).
For more information, contact the AAAL Chair.