20/21 AAAL Mentorship Program
The Alberta Association of Academic Libraries (AAAL) is pleased to provide a mentorship program for its members. The AAAL Mentorship Committee annually recruits AAAL participants, pairing mentors (experienced guides to provide support and encouragement) with mentees (early-career librarians and library technicians or those taking on new tasks/responsibilities) for one academic year.
The goals of the program are to support career development, promote networking, and provide leadership to the profession. The program does not exist to facilitate job placements.
Benefits to Mentors:
- Developing new relationships and meeting new colleagues in the library community
- Practicing and refining leadership and coaching skills
- Getting a fresh perspective and insight into the challenges facing new or transitioning professionals
Benefits to Mentees:
- Access to feedback and suggestions from experienced professionals in the field
- Meeting and developing professional relationships with colleagues
- Insights into the realities of library and information work.
Who should get involved?
Are you an experienced library professional? Are you a good communicator and an active participant in the profession? Do you have strong interpersonal and leadership skills? Are you interested in challenging and encouraging newer members of the library community, or those taking on new roles and responsibilities? If you answered yes to these questions, you would be an ideal mentor. Experienced library professionals at all levels can make great mentors.
Are you inquisitive and curious about your chosen profession? Are you willing to enter into an open, honest dialogue? Are you willing to learn and accept feedback? If you answered yes to these questions, you would be a good fit as a mentee. Mentees must be working at an AAAL institution at the time of registration.
Applications will be accepted from July 2 until August 14, 2020 by filling out the appropriate form below:
I’ve applied. What happens next?
You will receive a receipt of application upon submission. Please keep this for your records.
The AAAL Mentorship Committee will review your application and match you with a mentor/ mentee. You and your partner will then be sent an email of introduction including the AAAL Mentoring Partnership Agreement for you to complete together and resources to support the mentoring relationship. The mentorship agreement is a tool to assist you in clarifying expectations as well as norms for communicating, and will likewise serve as an way to measure the success of the mentoring experience.
The program is intentionally flexible. Participants are encouraged to create and structure a professional relationship according to their particular needs and interests.
Applicants to the program are expected to:
- Commit to the full term of the AAAL Mentorship Program (September – April).
- Read the content of this web page and be familiar with the mechanics, intent, and spirit of the program.
- Keep in touch with their partner monthly or as agreed upon by both parties.
- Provide mid-term and final feedback to the AAAL Mentorship Committee (online).
If you have any questions or comments about the AAAL Mentorship Program, please contact us at email@example.com.
Thanks for your interest in the AAAL Mentorship Program.