February’s installment of 7 Questions With… AAAL Members features Shawna Murphy, Outreach librarian, Vera Bracken Library, Medicine Hat College.
1. When was the last time you were nervous? I’m often nervous, but I think that’s actually a good thing. I’m always trying new things so I never get too comfortable.
2. If you could throw any kind of party, what would it be like and what would it be for? It would be a big old East Coast ceilidh. Fiddles, guitars, bodhrans, jam sessions, step dancing, and a huge house to fit everyone into! And it would be just because- you don’t need an excuse to have a party!
3. What is your best piece of career advice? I am still pretty new to this librarian thing, and I am much more qualified to listen to other, more experienced people’s advice than to give any myself. However, I guess what’s working for me is being adventurous, getting out of my comfort zone, trying new things, and being invested in my role(s). I know that’s all very cliche but I think being open and excited about what we do is absolutely the best way to learn and grow in this profession.
4. What is your favourite thing to binge watch? Battlestar Galactica, Once Upon a Time, and Downton Abbey (I couldn’t pick just one)
5.What is your proudest work-related accomplishment? In 2012 I spent 4 months in Bangalore, India, working as an intern with the Hippocampus Reading Foundation. I helped develop and implement an ESL story time program and a teacher training program for use in government school libraries and the Hippocampus Learning Centres set up in rural villages. I really enjoyed my time there and learned so much. It really opened my eyes to the positive impact libraries and librarians can have on the communities they serve.
6. What do you do when you’re not working? I like zumba, reading, knitting, baking, going for walks, traveling, and playing board games. I also love to dance. My favourite thing to do though is just hang out at home, watch Netflix with my husband, try new recipes, have friends over, and just generally enjoy life.
7. What is your favourite quote?
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?
– Mary Oliver