May’s installment of 7 Questions With… AAAL Members features Genevieve Luthy, Library Manager, Reg Erhardt Library, SAIT.
1. What is something interesting you learned in the last month? I’ve started going to pub trivia nights with some friends and I’ve learned that I’m terrible at trivia.
2. When was the last time you were nervous?I did my first ever cross country ski loppet last month, and I was pretty nervous when I saw some former Olympians warming up in the parking lot before the race. In the end it was lots of fun, especially because I didn’t come in last, or get trampled during the mass start—my two biggest worries!
3. If you could learn to do anything, what would it be? Speak German.
4. What is your best piece of career advice? Be open to taking on projects or new opportunities that scare you a bit. I went to Library school thinking I wanted to be a children’s librarian, and while I did love my time doing that work, I’ve learned the most and had the most rewarding experiences when I’ve taken on roles that involve new challenges. Moving to the academic library world after years at public libraries was definitely outside my comfort zone at first, but I’ve learned so much.
5. What is your favourite thing to binge watch? I’m saving a bunch of podcasts for an upcoming flight, so I’m going to cheat here and list my favourite podcasts for binge listening: Reply All, This American Life, 99% Invisible, Serial, and Answer Me This.
6. What do you eat for breakfast? Toast with peanut butter.
7. What do you do when you’re not working? I grew up in Canmore, and I still like to get out to the mountains as often as I can to ski in the winter and hike in the summer. I also spend a lot of time riding my bike around Calgary’s many river pathways. I just joined a women’s mountain biking club too, so I’m planning to get off the paved trails a bit this summer, and conquer my fear of going fast down hills!