Librarian (Scholarly Communications)
Concordia University of Edmonton is a community of learning grounded in scholarship and academic freedom, preparing students to be independent thinkers, ethical leaders and citizens for the common good. Concordia’s Library is seeking candidates for the position of Scholarly Communications Librarian. This position is available to begin mid-August, 2019.
Concordia University of Edmonton is situated on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River in Edmonton’s historic Highlands neighborhood. Supporting a student body of approximately 2500, Concordia is known for its small class sizes and its excellence in teaching. Our small classes and diverse student population provide an excellent opportunity for engaging with students in a sustained and nurturing way unique within the Canadian University system. Concordia is also an institution that values research in the sciences, social sciences, humanities and management.
The Scholarly Communications Librarian builds collaborative relationships among the CUE Library, CUE Office of Research Services, CUE Centre for Innovation in Applied Research (CIAR), and Campus Copyright Office to further the goals of the CUE Academic Plan and Strategic Research Plan to support and enhance student and faculty research.
The Scholarly Communications Librarian advises and trains CUE undergraduate, graduate, and faculty researchers on topics of scholarly communication, manages and promotes the CUE-U of A repository services agreement, provides in-person and virtual reference services, and liaises with assigned academic programs. Liaison work includes relationship building, developing and delivering research skills instruction, and developing library collections.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages and promotes the institutional repository agreement with the U of A.
- Advises and trains CUE undergraduate, graduate and faculty researchers on scholarly communication topics.
- Provides in-person and virtual reference service.
- Develops and maintains research support services in collaboration with the CUE Office of Research Services, the CUE Centre for Innovation and Applied Research, and the Campus Copyright Office to implement the CUE Academic and Strategic Research plans.
- Liaises with assigned academic programs, which includes building relationship, preparing and delivering library instruction, and developing library collections.
- Attends meetings and supports projects of the Library Instruction Team and the Library Online Services Team in keeping with the CUE Academic Plan.
- Builds and evaluates physical and electronic collections within assigned subject areas.
- Attends meetings and supports projects of the Library Collections Team.
- Represents CUE Library at meetings of the Faculty of Graduate Studies Council.
- Contributes to projects that advance the CUE Academic Plan.
- Maintains and contributes to broader consortial partnerships
- Maintains a professional network relevant to position responsibilities.
- Attends workshops, courses, and conferences to maintain professional competence.
Requirements for the position include:
- MLIS from an accredited ALA program
- Master’s degree in an additional academic discipline
- Prior experience in research and scholarly communication
- Knowledge of open access publishing models
- Master’s degree in a Social Science or Science discipline
- Three to five years of relevant experience
- Experience with institutional repository and research data management
Closing Date: Application review will continue until the position is filled. Concordia is an equal-opportunity employer.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience as required for this position.
Application should include:
- A cover letter (including a statement of citizenship/immigration status);
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of references;
- Transcripts of all graduate-level courses;
- A statement describing past experience in activities that promote diversity and inclusion.
Concordia University of Edmonton
7128 Ada Boulevard
Edmonton, AB T5B 4E4
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.